Christopher Columbus Statue
A significant contribution by the Italian immigrants to Easton is this statue of Christopher Columbus, purposely located here at the city’s waterfront. The statue was dedicated in a daylong celebration on December 14, 1930. This magnificent bronze statue was unveiled in front of a large crowd with music and speeches by prominent guests.
During the worst Depression experienced by America the Italian-American community raised $13,000 for the nine foot tall statue sculpted by noted Philadelphia sculptor Giuseppe Donato. It is said that some took out second mortgages on their homes to help the cause.
The participants gathered at the Italian Home on South Fifth Street and marched in procession to the site. Eight Italian organizations participated. Today two of these societies still exist – the Holy Cross Society whose members are descendants from Santo Stefano diCamastra, Sicily and the San Placido Society whose descendants are from Castel diLucio, Sicily. A concert and banquet followed at the Orpheum Theatre.
The statue was re-dedicated in honor of the 500th Anniversary of the landing in the Americas By Cosmos Mariner, June 4, 20172. Marker detail: seal and copyright of Giuseppe DonatoThe seal and copyright of Giuseppe Donato (1881-1965), who was born in the Calabria region of Italy. Classically trained of the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, the Academy Julian, the Academie Colarossi, and the Pennsylvania Academy of fine arts, Donato’s work has been recognized by such prestigious institutions as the National Sculpture Society, the American Art Association of Paris, and the New York Architectural League. by Christopher Columbus.