A Labour vote will not only save your family’s education & health, a Labour vote will save our planet…. International Director of the United Nations University For Global Peace.
Hon Matt Thistlethwaite MP – Parliament of Australia
Hon Matt Thistlethwaite MP
Member for Kingsford Smith, New South Wales
Party Australian Labor Party ChamberHouse of Representatives
205 Maroubra Road
Maroubra, NSW, 2035Postal address
PO Box 895
Maroubra, NSW, 2035Telephone:(02) 9349 6007Fax:(02) 9349 8089
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Canberra ACT 2600Telephone:(02) 6277 4840Fax:(02) 6277 4969
- Elected to the Senate for New South Wales 2010. Resigned 9.8.2013. Elected to the House of Representatives for Kingsford Smith, New South Wales, 2013. Re-elected 2016.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Pacific Island Affairs from 22.3.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs from 25.3.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport from 1.7.2013 to 18.9.2013.
- Senate Select: Scrutiny of New Taxes from 1.7.2011 to 1.11.2011; Electricity Prices from 23.8.2012 to 1.11.2012.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations: Legislation from 1.7.2011 to 14.5.2013.
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 1.7.2011 to 14.5.2013; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.7.2011 to 14.5.2013; Human Rights from 13.3.2012 to 14.5.2013.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 1.7.2011 to 14.5.2013; Gambling Reform from 27.6.2012 to 14.5.2013; Migration from 4.12.2013 to 9.5.2016.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples from 29.11.2012 to 14.5.2013; Broadcasting Legislation from 14.3.2013 to 14.5.2013.
- House of Representatives Standing: Infrastructure and Communications from 4.12.2013 to 13.10.2015; Infrastructure, Transport and Cities from 19.10.2015 to 9.5.2016; Economics from 15.9.2016.
Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs from 18.10.2013 to 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Immigration from 18.10.2013 to 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Assistant Minister for Treasury from 23.7.2016.
- Shadow Minister for an Australian Head of State from 24.10.2017.
- President, NSW Young Labor 1997-98
- Chair, ALP Law Reform Committee 2001-08
- Chair, ALP Review Tribunal 2004-08
- Secretary, Kingsford Smith Federal Electorate Council 2005-08
- General Secretary, ALP (NSW) 2008-10
- Born 6.9.1972, Sydney, Australia
Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- B.Ec (UNSW)
- Dip.Law (UTS)
- Dip.Legal.Prac (UTS)
- Industrial officer, Australian Workers’ Union 1995-2004
- Deputy Secretary, Unions NSW 2004-08
- Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, 2010-11
- Description: Inner Metropolitan
- Location: southern Sydney; it includes the suburbs of Banksmeadow, Botany, Chifley, Clovelly (part), Coogee, Daceyville, Eastgardens, Eastlakes, Hillsdale, Kensington, Kingsford, La Perouse, Little Bay, Malabar, Maroubra, Mascot, Matraville, Pagewood, Phillip Bay, Port Botany, Randwick (part) and South Coogee.
- Area: 91 Sq km
- Electors enrolled: 108671 (at 2.7.2016)
- Industries: shipping, aviation, paper manufacturing, light manufacturing, commercial and retail businesses. Sydney’s domestic and international airports are located in the division.